Monday, March 24, 2008

I need to get this off my chest.....

A few years ago when Mr. The Man was about 8-9 months old and Drama was 3ish I took the kids to a local photographer. I spent a lot of money only to realize that the pics were sub-par. The majority really weren't in focus and the kids just had "dead eyes"
So I figured I could do a much better job with my canon powershot and a much better job I did. Since then I have developed a passion for taking pics...I believe my background in scrapbooking allows me to see details that make amazing memories out of everyday little things. This doesn't make me a pro by far. I still have a lot to learn.
My whole point is just because you can afford the $5,000 camera and the fancy studio doesn't make you a photographer. What makes someone good and a true photographer is knowledge, the eye, and the ability and need to pass on what you know. (When I questioned her about her camera, at the time I was doing a little research, she refused to tell me saying "someone like you doesn't need to bother with this")
I am not trying to bash this other photographer because I am not about that but I am bothered you can charge $100/session when your pictures look like something my grandmother took at a family reunion.
My whole point is ask away. Any questions feel free to ask me. I may not know a ton because I am still learning, but I will share any and all info I have with you. (can you tell I am irked this chick is still in business?)

Anyway here is one of Stinkerbell and my dad over the weekend

9 comments:

Amy said...

I have been admiring your posts and photos for a few months now. I love to learn about photography from others, and I like to share what I know too! There's so much to learn, so why not! You do fine work!

Btw, what kind of camera do you shoot with and what (if any) kind of post processing do you do.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge - you've got an artistic and skillful eye!

Jen said...

(I just dropped you an email but here's the answer)

I use a Canon Digital Rebel Xti with the 50mm 1.8 lens. I just got the 85mm 1.8 lens but since it's been so crummy out I haven't used it much.
For post processing I use CS2 and just sharpen and lighten a bit. Martha (over at bug photography) has some awesome actions. Drop her an email if you are interested.
I've learned so much from www.twopeasinabucket.com
and reading everything I can get my hands on.

Leah said...

You know I'm not afraid to ask you questions figuring you can always tell me to shush and leave you aloen... ROFL! BTW, LOVE that picture!!!!

And you should know, I PRACTICED PRACTICED PRACTICED with the macro setting today on some plants and trees and I'm anxious to sit down and view them on the computer and see if they look as good as they do on the tiny screen of my camera.

You take FABULOUS pics and I whine all the time you aren't close enough to come entertain yourself with photographing MY kids... Your children are super lucky that when they're all grown up they're going to have OODLES of amazing pics of themselves

Betsy Hart said...

You do take amazing shots, thanks for offering your knowledge to everyone... you have now given me the go ahead to ask you all the annoying questions I have... I only have one now, but wait... lol
1) my kids both have blue eyes and all the pics I take of them with flash seem to get the red eye, how do I fix that??

Jen said...

Don't use your flash...LOL or diffuse it. You can do that by taping a piece of wax paper over it...or just simply use natural light. :)

(do you have the flash on that has the line through the eye? that should cut down on your red eye...although it rarely works)

kimmy said...

I love your pictures!!!!

We got a nice Canon EOS camera a few years ago and it takes amazing pictures. My husband likes to "toy" around with it too!

Kimmy

Anonymous said...

Love the picture!!! You take awesome pics!!
Missy Wilson

Kaci said...

I love your pics too!!! :)

Unknown said...

AMEN SISTA!!!! You know I love this picture! So sweet!!!!!